History of the Field
HCIL History History of the field
A few resources about the history of the field of Human-Computer Interaction
- Myers, B.A. A brief history of human computer interaction technology, ACM Interactions 5, 2 (1998), 44–54.
- Pew, R.W. Evolution of human-computer interaction: From Memex to Bluetooth and beyond. In The Human-Computer Interaction Handbook: Fundamentals, Evolving Technologies and Emerging Applications. CRC press, 2002, 1–17.
- Grudin, J., From Tool to Partner: The Evolution of Human-Computer Interaction. Synthesis Lectures on Human-Centered Interaction 10, 1 (2017), i–183.
- Interaction Museum from INRIA
From HCIL lab members:
- Shneiderman, B., Encounters with HCI Pioneers: A Personal History and Photo Journal, February 2019, 187 pages.
+ the website
+ the New York Times article about the book: Steve Lohr, Humanizing Technology: A History of Human-Computer Interaction (New York Times, September 7, 2015)
- The CHI Video Project
+ the article: Plaisant, C., & DeMenthon, N. (2021). The historical CHI video project: bringing 1983–2002 treasures to the ACM Digital Library and YouTube. Interactions, 28(2) , 70-75.
- How the CHI Community Got Its Groove – And Changed the World!
May 9, 2017, Denver, CO, CHI Conference Plenary
Video and Slides
- Shneiderman, B., Revisiting the Astonishing Growth of Human–Computer Interaction Research, October 2017, pp. 8-11, vol. 50, IEEE Computer
- Shneiderman, B., 25 years of CHI conferences: Capturing the exchange of ideas, ACM Interactions XIV, 2 (March/April 2007), 24-31. A photo history with 100+ images.
- Shneiderman, B., Kang, H., Kules, B., Plaisant, C., Rose, A., and Rucheir, R., A photo history of SIGCHI: evolution of design from personal to public, ACM Interactions 9, 3 (May 2002), 17-23.
- Shneiderman, B., No members, no officers, no dues: A ten-year history of the Software Psychology Society, ACM SIGCHI Bulletin 18, 2 (October 1986).